Using the Budyko hypothesis for detecting and attributing changes in runoff to climate and vegetation change in the soft sandstone area of the middle Yellow River basin, China

A - Papers appearing in refereed journals

Li, H., Shi, C., Zhang, Y., Ning, T., Sun, P., Liu, X., Ma, X., Liu, W. and Collins, A. L. 2020. Using the Budyko hypothesis for detecting and attributing changes in runoff to climate and vegetation change in the soft sandstone area of the middle Yellow River basin, China . Science of the Total Environment. 703, p. 135588.

AuthorsLi, H., Shi, C., Zhang, Y., Ning, T., Sun, P., Liu, X., Ma, X., Liu, W. and Collins, A. L.
Abstract

Understanding catchment hydrological response to intensive land use/cover change (LUCC) and climate change provides a basis for taking effective measures for the future. Runoff is a critical indicator of catchment hydrological processes that reflects the combined effects of climate changes and local human activities. In this study, three main tributary sub-catchments underlain by soft sandstone in the Yellow River basin, China, were chosen to attribute runoff variations to climatic change and human activities through improving the Budyko elasticity model. The results suggested that: (1) annual runoff exhibited a significant decreasing trend during the past 30 years (1981–2016, p b 0.01),with an average decline rate of 1.07 mm a−1; (2) the precipitation elasticity of runoff (εP) and that of potential evapotranspiration (εEo) varied from 2.42 to 2.96 and from −1.96 to −1.42, respectively, indicating that runoff is more sensitive to changes in P than those in Eo in the context of climate change; (3) the attribution analysis demonstrated that, on average, vegetation change (mainly anthropogenic vegetation coverage increase) accounted for 92% of the decline in runoff whereas climate change (including precipitation and potential evapotranspiration variations and consequent vegetation change) accounted for the rest 8%.

KeywordsRunoff change; LUCC
Year of Publication2020
JournalScience of the Total Environment
Journal citation703, p. 135588
Digital Object Identifier (DOI)doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.135588
Open accessPublished as non-open access
FunderBiotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council
Funder project or codeS2N - Soil to Nutrition - Work package 3 (WP3) - Sustainable intensification - optimisation at multiple scales
Output statusPublished
Publication dates
Online01 Apr 2020
Publication process dates
Accepted15 Nov 2019
PublisherElsevier Science Bv
ISSN0048-9697

Permalink - https://repository.rothamsted.ac.uk/item/98136/using-the-budyko-hypothesis-for-detecting-and-attributing-changes-in-runoff-to-climate-and-vegetation-change-in-the-soft-sandstone-area-of-the-middle-yellow-river-basin-china

Restricted files

Publisher's version

Under embargo indefinitely

2 total views
1 total downloads
1 views this month
0 downloads this month